Real Wedding Submissions
Fallyn and Grant’s Dreamy Hinterland Wedding
Location. Location. Location! The couple wed at the charming Maleny Manor in the Sunshine Coast Hinterlands. Not every wedding submission gets published by WarPaint International, but we love to see what brides and grooms are doing around the world. Fallyn and Grant's wedding caught the eye of our Founders, Samuel J and Jessica Mae Koza for two reasons - their love of Gatsby inspired events and the importance and the symbolism of the beloved raptor owl, which brings us to the next point.
Fallyn had a very special guest in their wedding - Luna the owl. She had contacted a not-for-profit organization who's mission is to save ex-zoo animals; she had the owl brought in as a special surprise for their guests. Read on to see how this very special wedding played out for Fallyn, Grant, and their guests.
How did you and your partner meet?
My husband and I met in high school. I was new to town and we were introduced to each other by my family. It was love at first sight, quite cute really.
How did he propose?
We were sailing on a private gondola in the Gold Coast Qld, after dinner he proposed at sunset with Moet champagne and a dozen red roses.
How did you choose your wedding gown?
After trying on countless dresses and even purchasing one, I went with my best friend, one of my bridesmaids, to a little store in Adelaide and secretly tried on a dress. We both instantly knew it was the one. My good friend (and owner) at The Big Day Sarina arranged for my purchased dress to be exchanged for the gorgeous vintage laced gown I had fallen in love with. To this very day, I am still so completely grateful.
What sort of style did you envision for your wedding day?
I wanted a classic old world vintage Gatsby feel. I had to be surrounded by flowers, I wanted soft pinks, lavenders and whites with accents of gold. Love Bird Weddings and Mondo Flowers worked together perfectly in creating a timeless elegance that is captured beautifully in Calli B photography's images of the day.
I initially had my heart set on Peonies but as it turns out, they were out of season for my wedding! However, my florist had organized French Peonies to be imported from Paris as a special surprise on my wedding day! From the simple floral styling (flowers were everywhere, my one very insistent request) along the aisle and a fantastic rose and wood arbour that surrounded us, the glass house mountains off in the distance we said our I do's in the most romantic fashion. Our day was highlighted by little style ideas, thought up over 2 years of planning, right down to the red gumboots I wore for our location shots (it had rained that morning and I wasn't risking my Louboutin’s, plus it shows off my country bumpkin upbringing in perfect humor).
What was your favorite moment from the day?
There were so many very special moments, created by my amazing team of suppliers and our wonderful family but I think the quiet moments with my family and friends getting ready, my husband and I standing at the alter in a bubble of love and our grandparents being a big part of the celebration were my most beloved moments. We sadly lost my husband’s Nanna recently so these moments shared with our loved ones are very cherished. We had the room surrounded with wedding photos of our grandparents and loved ones who had passed, it added a truly lovely touch to our special day.
Were there any DIY decor elements?
My best friend made our stick masks themed in my husband’s favorite marvel comic characters that people used as props throughout the night and I made the menus and ceremony order of events.
If you could do it all over again, what would you change?
Nothing, except making the day even longer! It was the most perfectly planned wedding and ran without a glitch because of my carefully selected and highly recommended team of suppliers which I cannot recommend enough, as they really make your day.
Also, a special mention to my family who went above and beyond for us and my friends who supported us through the lead-up, thanks to them the whole day was perfect.
Any tips you can give to future brides?
- Stay true to what you as a couple want. Everyone has opinions and while they are often are valid, listen to advice but don't live by it, as it's your day.
- Don't skimp on the photographer!
- Most importantly write a list of what's been most important for your wedding from your own experiences as a guest at others, stick to that list and trust your suppliers, as it's their job to bring it all together for you on the day. Let go of the reigns the week before, really let your hair down and spend time with your friends and family because trust me when I tell you that it's over before you know it so really embrace and enjoy every single moment including the lead up to it.
Anything else you'd like to add?
I actually had the privilege of working with a not-for-profit organization called Raptor Vision based in Sunshine Coast, QLD who are a wonderful animal rescue group. The guys behind this were retired Australia Zoo Raptor trainers who rescue and care for local birds. To fund the cost of caring for the animals, they trained one of their owls to deliver wedding bands. Luna the Owl surprised our guests as our ring bearer for the ceremony.
Vendors & Credits
- Dress: Pronovias Wedding Gowns supplied by The Big Day
- Makeup: Pru Edwards Makeup
- Hair: Dot & Birdie (Bride), Hair by Nicola (Bridesmaids)
- Shoes: Christian Louboutin supplied by Myer (Bride) Style Tread (Bridesmaids)
- Accessories: Pearl Galleria (including $35K pair of vintage pearl earrings gifted in loan by the owner for my special day)
- Jewellery: Love On Jewellery
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Pia Gladys Peri supplied by White Runway
- Grooms Suit: Stuart Suits
- Photographer: Calli B Photography
- Stationery: Adorn Invitations
- Cake: Ideas in Icing
- Food: Maleny Manor
- Flowers: Mondo Floral Designs (including special ordered Peonies from France as a surprise by my florist)
- Ceremony Venue: Maleny Manor